Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.
November 19, 2011
Hi Rob, yes I did an apprenticeship in the mid 1960s. Then got drafted in the army. They (the army) could have cared less. I spent 20+ years in high tech digital electronics and communications world. After retirement from the army worked for “them guys you can not talk about” in communications installation and maintenance. I always wanted to get back to the metal working world and when I finally really retired went back into it as a hobby. I remember most of the theory but am working on relearning the skills. I try to make things look good as well as functional. I find it takes little time and effort to do things like remove file marks, round corners and put a little polish and shine on your work.
The switch size is big, but it is the type of switch that was found on most commercial equipment. An OEM switch was $21 and change plus shipping. I have had 2 of them go bad. When I talked to the place I bought the lathe from they said they were “out of stock”. The person that I talked to just about admitted they have a problem with the switches. That monster switch was $57 and change and no shipping thru the local Graybar Industrial Supply. I hate having to fix things again and again. I also will be able to remove the sheet metal cover on the head stock without UN-mounting the switch. I know that I will never have to replace that switch again.
January 4, 2009
February 16, 2011
November 19, 2011
This is a ball turner I completed. The Idea came form the 7X turner on this web site. It fits my 9X lathe. What appears to be rust on the handle is a refection from something, the handle is stainless. You can see the first ball on the end of the handle.
Below is the switch that I installed for my lathe. in front of the blue plastic switch is a contact from it. Contacts are about 3/32 dia. and some sort of mystery metal, I took a file to it and it is not solid copper, only copper plated. You can see the solid copper contacts in the new switch. No small plastic cams or miniscule parts to go bad. I am mounting the new switch with a couple of magnets. It works great.
Below is my Cq9325A lathe. I think I have most of the problems with it worked/fixed.
It looks like I screwed up the first two pictures. Lets see if I can get it to work this time.
Here is the metal shop area of my workshop.
HOLY MOLY, it worked,
Most Users Ever Online: 52
Currently Browsing this Page:
David Sobel: 20
Guest Posters: 1
Newest Members:bwebster, Edwinsat, Aussie Bob, lbheating
Administrators: Rob: 146, rleete: 47