Download: Advanced Gunsmithing Book (PDF)

AdvancedGunsmithing70Here’s a book about gunsmithing that you can download as a 40MB PDF file.  It’s Advanced Gunsmithing by W. F. Vicery and it was published in 1940.

It’s an old book but I think you may still find it useful and interesting, even if you don’t own a gun, because it describes how to use many of the same machine shop tools and techniques that we’re still using today.  I’ve looked at even older books and have been amazed at how little things have changed in the last 100 years, aside from obvious things like the development of carbide cutting tools, EDM and automated (CNC) machines.

3 March 2017: I moved the download link to my Dropbox because the old location has been costing me about $2-3/month for the last seven years.  You don’t need a Dropbox account to download it.  Just click on the link that says “No Thanks Just Download” or something like that. — Rob

24 comments to Download: Advanced Gunsmithing Book (PDF)

• Jonh
    February 26, 2010 at 8:10 AM | Reply

great post, very helpfull *****

• Don
    March 24, 2010 at 6:41 PM | Reply

Been a machinist for years and just getting more involved in gun smithing.

• Turning Grumpy
    June 13, 2010 at 8:24 AM | Reply

If this was a book on fishing Otters and Herons would read it!!! ‘Nuff Said

• rinpui
    June 16, 2010 at 3:21 PM | Reply

Been an enthusiast and in line in smithy works
    Thnaks
    Rinpui

• Kent
    September 19, 2010 at 8:33 AM | Reply

Thank you,good book,I looked for such a book a long time!

• David Willoughby
    October 7, 2010 at 1:16 AM | Reply

Great site and one of great interest for beginners

• John Moore
    December 5, 2010 at 8:24 PM | Reply

i have a springfield micro compact that shoots 4″ low at 15 yards. to file the front sight enough to bring up, would leave almost no front sight. i have years of craft experience, (construction) and have no problem grinding off(using my fordum)the front sight but am not sure of the best way to piene in the new one.

suggestions?

• Amelia
      July 15, 2011 at 7:21 AM | Reply

This is the perfect way to break down this inforimaton.

• Ben Trillanes
      August 25, 2019 at 2:41 PM | Reply

You have to correct the slide to barrel match. you have two choices, modify the slide or the barrel. Using a Dremel grind out a little material on the top of the barrel hole so the barrel can rise up toward the sights, or grind down the barrel slightly where it meets the slide. Grinding down the barrel should not be a problem because it so close to the muzzle end, and may be less risky than grinding on the slide. A new barrel is much cheaper than a new slide, just in case you go too far. Remember, a small amount makes a big difference. Good luck!

• luky luke
    March 27, 2011 at 4:40 AM | Reply

it’s a good book for the machinist

• luky luke
    March 27, 2011 at 4:41 AM | Reply

excuse me,.. thanks for the superb book

• bdbdbuck
    May 30, 2011 at 2:31 PM | Reply

I have the print version of this book and from an American gunsmith’s perspective, it should be a national treasure! I was so surprised to run across this. Thank you so much for your contribution to the digital world this timeless wisdom from Vickery… although I don’t know how you did the copyright thing…
    Just keep the treasures coming!

• Rob
    May 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM | Reply

As far as I know this book is in the public domain now. Google scanned it and you can download it from them if you can find it. – Rob

• Cobus
    June 29, 2011 at 3:00 PM | Reply

Brilliant!Very happy to find this book.

• Rob
    January 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM | Reply

I just changed the download link to a new host because I want to close down the web site I was using. You can still use the old link for awhile if you have trouble with the new one. Please let me know if you do.

The old host is a “sandbox” web site I sometimes use for testing. I put the PDF there because downloading it directly from here could slow down MachinistBlog a lot because it’s a large file that’s downloaded pretty frequently. I’m using Amazon’s “Cloud” now because it’s a lot cheaper and faster.

• Marc
    March 2, 2012 at 12:00 PM | Reply

This book is a must have. I am a gunsmith and a machinist. This book written in 1940 gave me many old school tips you can’t find anywhere else.Thanks for the PDF.

• Anonymous
    January 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM | Reply

I was on the web for hours trying to find a book about gun smithing.. I’m 14 and very interested in this field. Hope that this will be my job one day

• rick camaro
    July 30, 2013 at 8:28 AM | Reply

this is a treasure, Great Post.

• joe
    August 24, 2014 at 4:04 PM | Reply

as it is, wery good old school book. Thanks for the pdf.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2015 at 8:35 AM | Reply

Cam I buy the book

• rleete
    March 25, 2015 at 7:22 AM | Reply

It is available for purchase from eBay and other places. Do a web search to find places that carry it.

• UFO
    February 19, 2016 at 7:21 PM | Reply

Thank you, downloaded and saved!

• Anonymous
    March 6, 2017 at 4:24 PM | Reply

Fantastic Read ,This book is a must have. I am a gunsmith and a machinist.Thanks for the pdf.

Steve

• Anonymous
    January 30, 2018 at 6:23 PM | Reply

Thank you for a wonderful old school [email protected]